Monday, May 13, 2013

Marriage Equality FTW




 
I'm taking a quick step away from my usual posts about beauty and entertainment to talk about marriage equality. I've been thinking about posting this for a long time, but wanted to make sure I had all my thoughts in order before posting so as not to muddle my message. To be honest, while originally drafting this last week, my message was a pretty pissed off one. I intended to wait to publish this until June to celebrate Pride Month and had been re-working it over and over because I wasn't satisfied with what I was saying. The news that Minnesota is officially supporting marriage equality completely changed my mood about this entire rant and in the last few hours, I've re-worked it and am finally satisfied enough with it to put out there. I know what I have here could never sufficiently convey the importance of accepting marriage equality and equal rights but I hope it's a decent enough display of what I feel.
 
I was overjoyed to find out we passed the same-sex marriage bill. That being said, what I originally planned to write about was how debating whether there should be marriage equality infuriates me, because THERE SHOULD BE NO DEBATE. I'm a firm believer in equal rights for gay or straight people, because there should be equal rights for ALL people. Its basic common sense to me and the fact that all humans getting the same rights is being debated at all pisses me off to no end. The sheer stupidity of the argument and the fact that it's taking so much time and money to fight about something that should be a given makes me ashamed of the country I live in. This is something I refuse to see the "other side of the argument" of because I can't see any validity in "the other side". I'm relieved and thankful that my state is now on the right side of the argument, but wish the rest of the country would get the picture already.

We shouldn't have to fight about the fact that gay and lesbians should be allowed the same rights as heterosexuals. It's in essence the same bullshit debate we had in the 60's on whether or not interracial marriage should be legal. The fact that it took our country until 1967 to finally legalize interracial marriage in all 50 states is sad and embarrassing. I look at this fact in 2 ways.

Anger that its been less than 50 years since such a massive law was overturned, and anger that almost 50 years later we're still exhibiting the same ignorance and idiocy by continuing the cycle of senseless hate and discrimination against the LGBT community.

It's pathetic that as a nation we seem simply incapable of not having some group to repress and hate for one reason or another. We're not content to be peaceful, we need to fight and shame others to feel better about ourselves.

I'll admit that as a non-religious person, I can often times be a little over critical of religion as a whole, but I have to say the argument that gays and lesbians marrying "ruins the institution of marriage because the Bible says so" is complete and absolute bullshit.

I don't hate religion, I don't hate religious people. Most of the people I know who practice organized religion I respect greatly because while they hold strong in their faith, they have enough personal integrity to build their own morals and have enough common sense to tell right from wrong. They're able to take what's good from their religion and apply it in their daily lives to better themselves inside and out. They're not saints and they don't try to act like they are. That's a wonderful thing.

What is not wonderful, are the people that use their "beliefs" as a weapon to back up their attacks on others with their own prejudices "in the name of the father our God almighty, thank you baby Jesus". They preach love and peace but discriminate and judge anyone who doesn't live life the same as them. This wouldn't be such a huge deal if our government wasn't stock full of these people. I refuse to respect or entertain those who use their religion as a shield to give them an excuse to act like pricks.

For anyone out there who likes to nit pick the Holy Book to find passages that can be used to back up your hate, take a look at this wonderful site that highlights some of the best Bible verses that people seem to forget:

A few gems and things to remember next time before quoting your favorite book:
 

The Bible hates women

To the women he said "I will greatly multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children, yet your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you. (Gen. 3:16)

the woman should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but shall be subordinate, as even the law says.
If there is anything they desire to know, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church. (1 Cor. 14:34-35)

I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent.
For Adam was formed first, then Eve;
and Adam was not deceived but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.
Yet women will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty. (1 Tim. 2:12-15)

The Bible hates masturbation, pre-marital sex and promotes child abuse. Withold not correction from the child; for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
Thou shall beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

The Bible restricts haircuts, clothing and tattoos.
You shall not make any cutting in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the LORD. (Lev. 19:28)

The Bible is prejudice against divorce for any reason. It states if you divorce and re-marry, you and your new spouse are adulterers. Adultery is one of the 10 commandments... The Bible also says adultery is punishable by death...

It says interracial marriage is condemned because God intended to keep the races separate, but later justifies interracial marriage after Moses marries a black woman. Recreational alcohol consumption is prohibited, we're not supposed to work on Sundays and medical science is not to be valued.

So with everything the Bible restricts and condemns, why is it that we aren't stoning divorcees, shaming women for speaking in public or blasting people for having drinks on their nights off work?

Instead, we're ignoring all the shit in the Bible that pertains to us or would be too hard not to follow and are focusing our discriminations on anyone who isn't us and people who just want the freedom to love and marry who they want.

What this all basically comes down to is a request to ask people to really take a hard, honest look into themselves and their lives. Own up to any discriminations you have and be human enough not to let that sway you in to acting out against a group of people that in no way shape or form affect you personally. I know that's why it's so easy for some people to look away from the wrongs they're doing because gay people being unable to legally marry "doesn't affect them", but neither does allowing them to legally marry.

I'm not saying every person needs to accept homosexuals with open arms or change your personal views about whether you agree or disagree with the lifestyle, but for the love of GOD, practice what you preach and treat others as you would like to be treated. Don't vote against or act out against the LGBT communities right to practice what THEY believe and love who they love. They're not trying to ruin your lives, they're just trying to enjoy theirs to the fullest and I don't believe there's any single rational opposing argument as to why they shouldn't be able to do so. And if your argument is backed in any way by religion or the Bible, it's not rational. See above if you need a refresher. Unless you're one of the few who takes everything in the Bible and practices it honestly and STILL hates gays and lesbians, you can't hide behind that excuse.

If you want to read/hear more, here's a few posts/videos I really enjoyed.

A lovely Buzzfeed post: "14 Steps That Will Evolve Your Views on Gay Marriage" http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/steps-to-help-you-evolve-your-views-on-gay-marriag

A great HuffPost article: "Dear Opponents of Marriage Equality: Here's Why I Call You a Bigot"

I wanted to add this post as the below post as one writer's response to their dislike of being called a bigot. It goes down like this... the writer is pissed that people who don't support equal rights are being called bigots. The writer posts examples from the Bible where central figures or events are being discriminatory and then they ask "Was Moses being a bigot? Was this disciple being a bigot? Is GOD a bigot here?" Though the writer may disagree, the answer is YES. :) enjoy!
http://www.truthmagazine.com/archives/volume37/GOT037011.html

Aaaand a great short film that make it painfully clear how much it would suck if the tables were turned and "heterophobia" was the popular belief. It hurts to be hated, go figure.
 

 
LAST but not least, once more, THANK YOU MINNESOTA!!! Today's an AMAZING DAY!!!
 
XOXOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment