Saturday, March 2, 2013

NYX Haul + Makeup Look

 
I've been avoiding makeup shopping for the last several months to work on saving money, and well... because I know I basically have more than enough makeup to my name as it is. BUT, be that as it may, NYX recently released a ton of new products and I've been dying to try them out. SO, I took a trip to Ulta and came out with a few new (and not so new) things.
 
First off, not so new products I purchased was the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk, a must have which I was running very low on. I also re-purchased the HD Photogenic Concealer in Fair. I LOVE this concealer. Its turned in to my favorite. Its medium to full coverage, but doesn't set in to fine lines and matches my foundation perfectly.
 
Now, on to new things!
 
I'm a big fan of the NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat powder, and when I saw they came out with a foundation I had to give it a go. First thoughts, after just using it once: I'm not really sure about it.
The color is *gasp* nearly to light for me!? I can still work with it, it's just very light. When I tested it on my hand, it appeared to be more on the full-coverage side, but when actually applying it to my face, it took a bit of work to get it blended and appeared to be more of a light-medium coverage. I'll have to do a more in depth review after I've used it a bit more.
 
A not new product, but new to me is the Jumbo Eye Pencil in Knight. When I swatched it, it looked like a black to almost mossy green shade with gold flecks in it. Very beautiful, and I think it will go great to make a simple smokey eye.
 
One thing I got that I was very excited about is the Collection Noir Powder Brown Liner. After my first use, I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I really liked the idea of using it to give a less harsh, smoked out liner but it leaves a lot of fall out, and the product is VERY pigmented. I would advise against using it without something to catch the fall out or you could end up with raccoon eyes.
 
I bought 2 single eyeshadows. The first is the Nude Matte shadow in Underneathe It All. It's a medium warm brown shade that I thought would be perfect for defining the crease.
The 2nd is a Glam Shadow in Sparks. It's a cream/champagne shadow with gold glitter infused in it. It's a gorgeous color, but the glitter has some serious fall out you need to watch out for.
 
 
Finally, last but not least, I got the Love in Florence Palette in Meet My Romeo. I was attracted to the colors in this palette because they looked like they could be used to make a great natural/neutral look or a smoked out evening eye. Plus I fell instantly in love with the shimmery taupe. I created a quick eye look using this palette that you can see below.
 

 

 
I must say, I'm a tad disappointed with this palette. I was really hoping for more color payoff, especially with the 2 shimmery shades but as you can see in the above swatch, they came out very faint. I refused to give up on the palette though, and found foiling the shadows with a little water helped bring the color and metallic sheen out.

 
Above is me with just foundation/concealer and my brows done.


I started by applying the taupe color with a little water to the inner corners of the eyes to brighten up the look.
 

 
I also used water to apply a wash of the bronze all over the lid, up to the crease.

 
I used a pencil brush to add the matte light brown at the outer crease, bringing it up to about halfway across the eye.

 
I went over that with a small amount of the dark brown.

 
I blended the 2 brown shadows out with a fluffy brush to diffuse the harsh lines.

 
I applied the peach shade to the brow bone.

 
I used my favorite Physicians Formula Eye Booster Eyeliner in Deep Brown to line the eyes.

 
And applied a coat of black mascara to the top and bottom lashes.


 
And the eyes are complete!

 
I finished off the look with Physicians Formula Happy Booster blush in Warm and Covergirl lipstick in Delish.
 
Let me know if you've tried any of the new NYX products and if there are any must have's!

2 comments:

  1. It is seriously SO funny you posted this, as I just went and bought my first Nyx products a few weekends ago at Ulta! I got:

    Nyx Cream Blush in Natural: My skin is dry, so I wanted to try a cream blush. This one is the lightest shade of their cream blushes. While I love the glow it provides to my dry, flaky skin, I still find it just makes me look more pink. I just got the E.L.F. Baked Blush in Peachy Cheeky to try out, since it's more shimmery and sheer. This will be my last try before I just admit to myself forever that I'm too red for blush. ::sigh::

    I also got the Photogenic Concealer in Fair! I like it, but find I have to REALLY blend it because it is super light, and it also dries quickly in my opinion. I can't even think about using it on my undereyes, as I have some major dark circles, and I benefit more from salmon toned light concealers.

    I got the Nyx Roll On Shimmer in Platinum. I heard good things about it, but the roll on thing made me feel apprehensive. I love glitter, so when I tried it I was super pleased! It doesn't fallout that much, an even amount of product comes out with one swipe, and the gllitter isn't chunky. Definitely my favorite thing, and would highly recommend to any fan of wearing glittery eye shadow.

    I got Nyx eyeshadow in 2 shades: matte black (just for going over eyeliner, I can't mess with that smokey stuff), and Aloha. The black is super pigmented and has good staying power. The Aloha, despite, all the raves it gets, didn't do anything for me. It's a little shimmery, but it barely shows up for me. I'm probably more a fan of super bright pops of highlight and shimmer, so this didn't do it for me.

    Nyx Lipstick in Summer Love: I've been trying to figure out if I can ever find a lipstick color other than deep berry/pin up red for every day wear. Nudes and pinks just make me look washed out or more pink. This one is kind of like a lavender/brownish nude. So I tried it, and it makes my lips look frosty lavender. ::siiiiiiiiigh:: It also is a little dry, despite applying like a dream.

    Nyx Lipliner in Nude Pink: It's a good lipliner, but the color again is too rosey pink for me. I can use it if I put a more neutral gloss on top of it, which I have a few of. (namely, ELF's Malt Shake.)

    And lastly, I got the Jumbo Eye Pencil in Cottage Cheese, because I've seen it in about 87 makeup videos and since I normally look like I'm about to die, I needed a shimmery white to put around my eyes. I like this one because it's an off white color, so I can do a lot of highlighting stuff with it. I do find it wears off rather quickly, but I've only worn it so far during the day when I'm messing around with my makeup a lot. I have yet to give it an all nighter test!

    Was that long enough? Geez.




    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha no way you're too red for blush! Just gotta keep trying different shades till you find the right ones that suit you. If bright pinks and peaches aren't working for you, try more deep rosey or mauve blushes. The elf Studio blushes they sell in Target are great and only $3, so guilt free to try out!

    I Looove NYX products, but they can be pretty hit/miss. I like the shimmer rollers but it's easier to work with when you roll the shimmer to the back of your hand, then take the color from there with your finger/brush to the eye. It gives it a little more control.

    I think I bought Aloha a few months back and kind of had the same impression as you... I would have to check my shadows, but I feel like it was way too glittery and the fallout was horrible... Maybe I'm thinking of a different shade though.

    One great nude I LOVE from NYX is Pumpkin Pie. It's a really great not too neutral, but not too pink and it's got no frost/shimmer to it. Another good brand to use for lips is Revlon. They have the BEST lip products. The Lip Butters are great, because you can go with any of the colors and make them work because they come out pretty sheer but are buildable.

    Their Just Bitten Lip Crayons are great too, really long lasting but not drying.

    And I LOVE Cottage Cheese! None of the Jumbo Eye Pencils are too great without a primer (they'll crease like non-other) but with a primer they're great as an eyeshadow base or alone. I really like Cottage Cheese or Strawberry Milk for an all over wash for the lids. They're both simple but beautiful, with or without shadow.

    Let me know if you've tried any other products/brands! I love comparing/trying out recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete